the ancient city of kamiros
Kamiros was one of the three great ancient
cities of Rhodes that reached its heyday in the 6th and 5th Century BC, thanks
to its developed agricultural economy. The ruins of the city and neighbouring
necropolis were uncovered in 1859 in what had over
the centuries, become a wooded area. Its
grand public buildings, the Agora, temples, private residences and the
Acropolis at the hilltop, witness the glamour and wealth of ancient Kamiros.
In the aftermath of the foundation of the
City of Rhodes in 408 BC, Kamiros started to decline, although it remained
inhabited until the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian. Kamiros was the
home of the great poets Peisandros and Anaxandrides.
It is a very important archaeological site,
as the ancient village is preserved in excellent condition.
The remains of the
enclosure and the pavilion of a temple of the goddess Athena Kamirada were
found in the acropolis of Kamiros. The city’s sewer system and a large water
cistern have been preserved.
Kamiros was built in tiers. Its houses
belong to the Late Hellenistic and Roman times.
Important findings from the area now adorn
the collections of the British Museum and the Louvre, while only a few, such as
the famous headstone of Krito and Timarista, from the end of the 5th century
BC, are found in the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes.